Sunday, May 19, 2013

Minimizing my life

In the process of packing up all of my stuff to ship home for the summer and for when I am abroad, I realized that I have really accumulated way too much clothing. It is not just clothing that has been accumulated to excess, but also art supplies/ and sewing supplies and make-up. Through this process and the past couple of weeks leading to this, I have finally admitted to myself that I am a "pre" horder. And with this knowledge, I am going to take a new aspect on my fashion sense.

Don't get me wrong, I love fashion and I LOVE shopping. However, I don't really have the sufficient funds to shop all the time, neither am I at the point in my life where I can afford to have a lot of clothes, having the major of being a  fashion design student. And so I will be embarking on a project or challenge for myself. I am not going to be buying any new clothing or make-up unless it is something that I really need, to replace something that is worn out or gone. Or I am buying something because I really love it and have thought about it for more than a one day shopping trip.

So what this really means is that I am going to save my money for the pieces that I really want. Clothing of great quality and design. I want to buy clothing that I know that I can't live without and know that I will wear it for at least 4+ years.  I want to wear the expensive clothes, or at least clothes that I will love for a long time. Since I have not fully found my style that really defines me, if I am into a certain trend, I am going to make it a D.I.Y project. ( which I have a few in mind) I will put some effort in it, but I won't put my wallet into it. I will then find things already in my closet that I can reinvent if I'm not loving it anymore or to go to the local thrift store and find something there. I may even sew the garment myself, making it unique to me.

So some stores I will be avoiding for a while though; Forever21 and H&M. These two stores are way too much into fast cheap fashion. These are my things that I am trying to get rid of in my life. In regards to make-up, I will be avoiding the drugstore make-up aisles. I have been a slave to cheap make-up for to long and need to start investing in  make-up that is better for my skin and better for my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment